According to the California Highway Patrol, over 300,000 car accidents were reported in California in 2020. The frequency of car accidents can also be affected by various factors, including the amount of traffic on the roads, the condition of the roads, the behavior of drivers, and the prevalence of other factors that can contribute to accidents, such as inclement weather or mechanical failures.
Here, the San Bernardino car accident lawyers of Wagner Zemming Christensen, LLP, discuss the most common types of accidents on California roads and what frequently causes them.
What Are the Most Common Types of Collisions in San Bernardino?
Some of the most common collisions on the roads and highways across San Bernardino include:
- Rear-end collisions – These types of collisions occur when one vehicle strikes the back of another vehicle. They are often caused by distracted or inattentive driving.
- Side-impact collisions – Also known as “T-bone” accidents, these collisions occur when the front of one vehicle hits the side of another. They can be particularly dangerous because the sides of vehicles offer less protection than the front or back.
- Head-on collisions – These collisions occur when the front of one vehicle strikes the front of another vehicle. They often result in severe or fatal injuries because of the high speed and significant force of impact involved.
- Single-vehicle accidents – These accidents involve only one vehicle and can be caused by various factors, including driver error, mechanical failure, or poor road conditions.
- Multi-vehicle accidents – These accidents involve more than two vehicles and can be caused by many factors, including distracted or reckless driving.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in California
Some of the most common causes of car accidents in California include:
- Distracted driving – Distractions such as texting, eating, or talking on the phone can take a driver’s eyes, hands, and focus off the road, increasing the risk of an accident.
- Impaired driving – Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can impair a driver’s judgment and reaction time, making it more likely that they will be involved in an accident.
- Speeding – Excessive speed can make it more difficult for a driver to control their vehicle and can increase the severity of an accident.
- Poor road conditions – Potholes, uneven surfaces, and other hazards can contribute to accidents, especially if a driver is not paying attention or is driving too fast.
- Poor weather conditions – Rain, snow, and other inclement weather can make roads slippery and reduce visibility, increasing the risk of an accident.
What to Do After a Car Accident in San Bernardino
If you have been involved in a car accident in San Bernardino, you should take the following steps to protect your rights and help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve:
- Stay at the scene – Do not leave the scene of the accident until it is safe to do so and you have exchanged information with the other driver.
- Call the police – Even if the accident seems minor, it is essential to call the police so that they can document the accident and determine who was at fault.
- Seek medical attention – If you are injured, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you don’t think you are seriously injured, it is vital to get checked out by a doctor to ensure you are okay.
- Document the accident – Take photos of the accident scene and any damage to your vehicle and make a note of any witness information. This can help prove who was at fault and be crucial to your case if you need to seek compensation.
- Contact a car accident lawyer – An experienced car accident lawyer can help you understand your legal options and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Contact a San Bernardino Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you were injured in a collision in San Bernardino, Wagner Zemming Christensen, LLP,, is here to help. With over 100 years of combined legal experience and a track record of successful settlements and trial verdicts, our team has the skills and resources to make a difference in your case.
We strive to provide top-notch legal representation while offering a personal touch, ensuring that our clients feel heard and respected throughout the legal process. Contact us by phone or online for a 100% free consultation to discuss your crash and how we could help.